Thursday, March 3, 2011

A Taste Of Spring, And My Life

It's time for another hearty helping of blog casserole!
You know, where you sling a bunch of stuff into a pot, and it's pretty good, but it sometimes doesn't all go together. Hell, you may even want to let this set in the fridge overnight for the flavors to meld together.

First on the agenda today, we're talking about the psycho weather we've had in these here parts.
I'd like to point out that it's currently 76 degrees outside. I know, I just checked, 'cause I'm from the Internet Generation, and I can do that pretty easily.
For someone that's quite comfortable when it's in the low-40s outside, this is really, really, "for the sake of all that's good and cheezy, it's MARCH" hot. I've taken special measures, though.
Photobucket
An empty house is ALWAYS a pants-optional zone.

That being said, Spring looks like it's starting to, well, spring. It's not quite sprung, but it's getting there.
Would you like to see some photographs?
Of course you would!
Well, that's what you said in my head as I imagined you reading that question, anyway.
Don't say no, it'll make the monkey sad.
Photobucket
Do you want to make this little baby sad? I didn't think so.



Now, wasn't that fun?
Just pretend.
Think of the monkey.
Photobucket
Reginald Kitty is not amused.

Are we ready to move onto the second article for discussion?
YAY!
Is it just me, or do photographs such as this one of the Queen...
Photobucket

...make things like this all the more funny?
Photobucket
This may or may not be on my desk.
That may or may not be Roger the Bose.
It may or may not be playing Donovan's Troubadour Collection.
Maybe.
It is.



Now, for item three; American television.
I got this email from my sister yesterday afternoon:

From : Seester
To : Archibald Heatherington Nastyface
Subject : Recommendation

I have started watching a show called My Life As Liz and highly recommend it...
Probably not your style, but it is cute and if you allow yourself, you might enjoy it... Even if it isn't British...
Love ya!


It's not often my sister recommends something to me.
Let's be honest, with twelve years age difference, we're not likely to have the same interests.
Over the span of about five years, she has made the following suggestions:
Mumford And Sons...
Photobucket

I suggested this back at her, and sent her the title track to their latest album almost four months before
it came out (the good people of YouTube are to thank)...
Photobucket
Why, if it isn't Writing Playlist favorites, the Plain White T's!
Come in, sit a spell, we'll have something meat-free and talk about the Beatles remasters.


I never did hear what she thought about it. It's an open suggestion, fully extended to you, dear reader.
That is, if you can find it on YouTube now. 'Cause I couldn't find it.
Admittedly, I didn't try very hard, 'cause I've got the album.

The Guild...


I'd like to remember what I suggested back to her, since I always try to point out whatever's going on in my
entertainment sphere, but my memory has failed me, and I cannot find any text records to fill in the gap.
(Yes, I keep records of that kind of thing. Apparently, not as well as I thought I did.)

The Big Bang Theory..
Photobucket
Please, view the link. Really.
Do it.
A two minute clip showed me more than the first five episodes did.
You will laugh.

I believe I suggested Black Books to her at the time, but I never heard if she liked it or not.
I'm sensing a pattern.

Case and point, she must like it if she brings it to my attention.
It has been said that I didn't give The Guild much of a chance, so, to keep that from happening with
My Life As Liz, I watched the entire first season.
In one sitting.
Because I am a nocturnal creature with maddening insomnia.
Photobucket
Much like the rest of me, my body clock has rejected reality.

If you've not seen it, I must say, the format is a bit strange. It is defined by Wikipedia as
"scripted 'reality' comedy",
which makes no sense to me.
Take it from somebody who has been watching reality television for eons: the whole genre is pretty much
scripted.
They've got a plot to follow, they are encouraged to create unnecessary drama,
and personalities are exaggerated to fit into cookie-cutter stereotypes.
I went in not knowing much about the show; I figured it would be better to
let it speak for itself, rather than have any preconceived notions about it.
One must be open minded about such things, after all.
That being said, I've got to confess, I just don't get it.
Here are some things I do understand about the show:
The general premise revolves around a girl fighting her high school infatuation.
OK. I get that.
Believe you me, if you escape those high school years without having experienced some of the things
illustrated in the first season, I'd like to shake your hand and have a nice long
discussion about how your solitary isolation went.
That process is all part of that whole adolescent, crazy, "lyke, ohmagawd, I so totally kept that straw that we
shared a milkshake from, 'cause, lyke, it's just so squeeeeee!" thing.
(That was actually in one of the episodes; not the characterization, but the plot device. I, naturally, covered
my eyes and mentally screamed 'THAT'S HOW YOU GET SICK!'
I particularly loved how she gathered all of her relics
and disposed of them. I never did that... I just drank copious amounts of tea,
and wrote several short stories in that Jane Austen style of changing names, but having the same plot.)
Rights of passage, and all that bollocks.
I also understand the social awkwardness. Again, rights of passage.
Except, of course, that instead of lying to me via phone, people used to actually hide from me,
exclude me from their plans, and, in the end, stopped answering my emails all together.
Oh, and, naturally, the urge to be yourself. Self-empowerment and all that.
I dig it, man, I'm there.

Everything else?


Clueless.

It dawned on me this morning why.
Homeschooling had its advantages.
Sure, my life has been far from conventional, but didn't I get pretty much the same experience without the
hassle?
To identify with the main points of the plot without having had to waste thirteen years of my life in an
academic institution?
That, my friends, is a major SCORE.
Not only that, but I got a better education by teaching myself: emotional, personal, spiritual, AND academic.
I realize that this is a major dramatization of typical high school
(I would assume it's on the opposite end of the High School Musical spectrum), though I have no way to say
how accurate a portrayal it is or isn't.
All I can say is that I pity those who have to do it the "normal" way.
I just hope they can break out of that web of negativity in a timely manner, and join the world of the
free-spirited, like yours truly.
So, whereas this isn't quite my "thing"...

He really reminds me of someone I used to know. I think it's the haircut.

...I'll just have to stick with something a little more realistic to me...

One of the greatest movies ever made. Period.

So, with my thoughts on this latest suggestion, I'm making one of my own.
If you can, get your butt over to the Showtime website and watch Episodes.
It's one of the funniest new shows out there right now, and it's fresh from the Sceptered Isle...

You will see this clip again in the future.

And, fourthly, I have finally turned a corner into feeling incredibly older than I really am.
My eyesight has gotten so terrible, that I'm having to use my glasses to read with, and, on occasion,
to use the computer.
There, I said it.
I had hoped to at least hold it off until I hit twenty.
Photobucket
As a friend said to me when I first got them, "Hey, I was looking everywhere for you!... but, I don't know
how I missed you in those glasses."
Not the most gifted with words, was he. Perhaps that was reflected in his lyrics.
(Yeah, I used to know a musician. What did I do with my life before I blogged?)


Now that I've bored you totally, have a song.

And somewhere in the north of Michigan, there is a bridge...