Thursday, June 30, 2011

Lather, Rinse, Maim

We've talked about being a 90's child before. Hell, while I was looking for evidence on this very blog, I saw several instances where I just couldn't shut up about the ruddy 90's (what does it all mean?). With the kids of the 90's hitting the age where we all start getting nostalgic about the rubbish... I mean, pop culture that we remember, it's no wonder this awesome thing has happened.
Someone finally heard the cries of 90's children across the nation!

Before we go any further... um, did they just call us "grown ups"? Unless the secret of being one of these so-called "grown ups" is that you're bumbling about like a blind kitten, then don't inflate our egos.

How did this wonderfulness happen?
According to Entertainment Weekly (AKA, the place where Chris Harrison blogs Bachelor!), TeenNick (when did this happen?) is going to run 90's shows in the wee small hours of the morning.
Personally, I'm really curious to see what they play. Sure, we know about the staples, like Clarissa Explains It All...

Didn't everyone want a friend like Sam? I did. Of course, I would have also taken a friend like Tucker from Flash Forward, but that was a Disney show, and not relevant to this discussion. Now that I'm older, and have a bit of perspective, I realize I just wanted somebody to be nice to me instead of make fun of me (I was not what one might call "popular". Go figure, right?).

All That...

It's no wonder this generation has turned out weird. I watched this and laughed all the way through it. Then, I watched it again.

and The Amanda Show...

...but surely that's not all they're going to give us!

If we're being totally honest, though, I'm most excited for The Adventures of Pete and Pete. That show was a huge part of my childhood, and, in a weird way, telling of the person I was to become. Just in case you don't know the story, I was so in love with the opening song, I decided I would learn to play guitar just like the guys in the opening credits.

Also, I had this little-girl-cute-thing for Danny Tamberelli. To which I say to myself "look at your life. Look at your choices".
Someone should have warned my five year old self that she would be doomed to a life of "I-don't-know-who-they-are" bands, and red haired funnymen. It was all laid out for me, but I was just too young to see it.
Photobucket
BE WARNED, WEE NAIF! AN ENTIRE LIFE OF WEIRDNESS AWAITS YE!
Also, this is proof that I was cool once.


My question now is are they going to get into the cartoons, too? 'Cause that could be made of awesome; they could play Rocko's Modern Life, Beetlejuice...


Animaniacs...


Tiny Toons...


I mean, how far are they going to take this? Take "100 Good Deeds For Eddie McDowd"...

It started in '99, and ran through '02. Are they going to play it? (Personally, I loved this show. I mean, I would lock myself in my room and watch the new episodes every week. Hey, Danny Tamberelli was in it. The mind boggles.)
I mean, I'll tune in to this "The 90's Are All That" block just 'cause I'm a sentimental sap, but it'll be really disappointing if they only play All That reruns (not that it wasn't a great show when it started... hey, Danny Tamberelli was in it [I'm noticing a theme. I was a pathetic child]).
Also, are we gunna get cool bumpers and stuff, like Stick Stickly? 'Cause that would just be the whipped cream on this hot fudge sundae.


I wanted to put a nice, nostalgic 90's Nickelodeon video here, but I found this instead.

Put this guy on a can of stew!
Oh, and just in case you didn't notice, Danny Tamberelli was in this video. When can we start building that time machine for five year old me?